Sunday, July 25, 2010

Alejandro González Iñárritu

Alejandro González Iñárritu has got to be one of my new favorite directors. He directed Babel and 21 grams, and directed a movie which I just watched tonight called Amores Perros, which translates as "loves a bitch".


What makes his films so great is the technique and skill he has in which he's able to create several stories in one movie which all seem to come off as random and non-relatable to one another, yet by the end weave them together with such simplicity. It's brilliant, and he exhibits this style in Amores Perros, as well as Babel and 21 grams. If you haven't seen any of these movie, though it's a handful, add them to your list, now!


Before this evening, and before watching this movie, I had completely forgotten about 21 grams and it made me sort of upset that I'd so easily forgotten about what has got to be such a well directed and produced movie I've ever seen. The narration, which as not many people know is one of my favorite elements to a movie, is so great. The script and the words that were put together really accentuated the story of 21 grams.

Because I couldn't find the ending scene on youtube due to copyright issues, I'll share the ending narration with you although it really doesn't capture as much as it did in the actual film.

"How many lives do we live? How many times do we die? They say we all lose 21 grams... at the exact moment of our death. Everyone. And how much fits into 21 grams? How much is lost? When do we lose 21 grams? How much goes with them? How much is gained? How much is gained? Twenty-one grams. The weight of a stack of five nickels. The weight of a hummingbird. A chocolate bar. How much did 21 grams weigh? "

Some of that narration is in the trailer.
Watch:

4 comments:

  1. Alejandro González Iñárritu has a new film coming out called Biutiful...its been a big buzz @ the Cannes Film Festival. Trailer looks good you should check it out if u haven't

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched it! Unfortunately no subtitles, but I love all of Alejandro's work so it's definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool can't wait 2 watch it too(with subtitles)...LOL

    ReplyDelete